IMUs or inertial measurement units are parts that sense the inertial forces on a robot. They vary depending on sensor, but may commonly include linear and rotational accelleration. They may sometimes include magnetometer to give global compasss facing dir. Frequently temperature is available from these as it affects their sensitivity.
This is a cheap, small, and moderately precise imu. Commonly available at Amazon.
- Typically uses the I2C interface and can be chained off the default PWM PCA9685 board. This configuration will also provide power.
- Outputs acceleration X, Y, Z, Gyroscope X, Y, Z, and temperature.
- Chip built-in 16bit AD converter, 16bit data output
- Gyroscopes range: +/- 250 500 1000 2000 degree/sec
- Acceleration range: ±2 ±4 ±8 ±16g
sudo apt install python3-smbus
or from source:
sudo apt-get install i2c-tools libi2c-dev python-dev python3-dev git clone https://github.com/pimoroni/py-smbus.git cd py-smbus/library python setup.py build sudo python setup.py install
Install pip lib for
pip install mpu6050-raspberrypi